Thursday, June 8, 2017

Reality Check

I woke up with big plans for another fun-filled day and patiently waited for my sleepy wee one to wake up hours later. I knew Apollo would be excited to hear that we were going to the "zoo, zoo, zoo, how about you, you, you" and boy was he ever! We excitedly ate breakfast quickly but as we were getting dressed, my phone rang and it was the hospital. A spot opened up for a cardiac CT and Apollo's cardiologist wanted him to take it. I was worried about crushing his dreams of the day but he handled it really well and actually understood through lots of explaining and some overdramatic gestures showing the difference between tomorrow and today (imagine me animately going to sleep and waking up). To give him a bit of fun, I let him finally help put on my makeup. If we have time, I'll let him go solo and I'll be sure to post pictures. I can only imagine...


He was definitely in no rush to get to the hospital so we played with his trains along the way. He is obsessed with these trains and has them with him at all times (thanks, Grammy!).




He had to have IV fluids before the contrast and was distraught over the IV in his hand. I left the room so he didn't think I was inflicting the pain on him during its placement. As my ear was pressed up against the door, I could hear him screaming and calling out for me. Of course it was horrible but only an adoptive parent would find a bit of joy in such a moment. He wanted his mama and no one but his mama to comfort him and kiss his hand...which then he used to hit me with several times. Poor thing, he just doesn't understand what's going on and why we keeps seeing our family on my phone but can't be with them. After lots of cuddling and a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse episode, we were ready for the scan.


Apollo was full of fear and trepidation but thankfully I was allowed to stay with him and was practically in the CT machine too! He did really well and they captured all the images they needed. The whole appointment took much longer than I expected so we had a late lunch/early dinner in the cafeteria. I scored big points when I found the tater tots and sweet potato fries. There's that silliness that had been missing all afternoon!


We headed back to our home away from home for some more snuggles and another hour long bath.




And guess who's going to see lions, tigers, giraffes, and hippos tomorrow?! He kept saying "tomorrow" over and over again. I know just what he's dreaming about! 


No comments:

Post a Comment