Thursday, January 28, 2016

Saturday - HOME!!! and Medical Update!!!

Continuing from Friday's Farewell post:

After just a couple of zzzzzz's, we headed back to the airport and were ready to go home Saturday morning! Magnus enjoyed roaming all over the airport with me while Mike and the girls kept all the other StL travelers company at our gate. I only mention this because a simple interaction warmed my heart and made me so thankful to be back on American soil. A woman mentioned how beautiful Magnus was as he toddled around. I thanked her and said that he was the newest American citizen as we had just arrived from China. She said, 'I had a feeling', looked in his eyes and proceeded, 'God has big plans for you, little one.' Oh ma'am, no truer words have ever been spoken! I will never forget her loving and kind words to my son. They were just what we both needed, maybe me more than him!

After a quick up and down flight, we recognized our sweet home St. Louis! Since we had already dealt with Immigration and Customs in Dallas at 11pm Friday night, we walked right through the airport to a loving crowd of family and friends! An amazing photographer, a fellow China adoptive mom, was there to capture our homecoming pictures free of charge. I now belong to another great community! We were so thrilled to be welcomed home so lovingly and were so appreciative of our dear ones for being there. I know many of you couldn't make it after our return day was switched from Friday to Saturday and although I was so sad for that, it was probably best for Magnus to have a smaller group. We stayed and chatted for a bit and then made our way across the river to Troy, IL! 


We arrived home to balloons, 3 sets of welcome home signs and several gifts on our front porch. Have I mentioned how awesome our village of family and friends are?! The next couple of days can be summarized quickly. They involved severe jet lag that we are still adjusting to, a much anticipated return to school by all 3 girls until strep throat hit for all Duff females. Craziness! We are so thankful Mags didn't get it and Mike's immune system is of rock star caliber so he was clear. 



Today is Wednesday and it was Magnus' first cardiology appointment at St. Louis Children's Hospital. I have had many requests to post about it here so I appreciate you patiently waiting throughout the day today! I wish I was more eloquent right now but this jet lag is really doing a number on the functionality of my brain cells so here it goes. We have been anxious yet overall peaceful for this day to come. We were anticipating answers to questions about his past and, more importantly, his future. With tearful eyes, bursting hearts and hands folded in prayers of thanks, we are excited to report that Magnus's cardiologist strongly believes he will have a full biventricular repair surgery!!!!! That means he can have a fully functioning heart!! She was in awe of him and was quite smitten as he charmed her, a fellow and a resident. Watch out ladies, we already have a heartbreaker! We spent almost the whole morning there where he had an Echo and EKG. There are many details but the most important are: 1. we believe we can stay here in St. Louis for his surgery, 2. there is no urgency in timing because he is doing so well so maybe surgery will be scheduled in the summer or later, 3. he will need a sedated cardiac MRI or cardiac cath before surgery and 4. we will know more after his already-beloved cardiologist speaks with the surgical team. 

So to all of you who have been praying for our Magnus, thank you from the deepest part of our hearts. We believe in the power of prayer and yet again, God has taken us into His loving and protective embrace. Although I have dreamed of Magnus's future and what it may look like, I have feared how his story may end. Of course the fear will always remain. I have it for my healthy children. But there is a tremendous weight of uncertainty that is slowly being lifted and replaced with so much hope! Tonight, sweet dreams little one because tomorrow is Day 1 of the rest of your LONG life!! You are a miracle, my Magnus! And I don't know what I would do without you! Thank you Lord, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

Forever Thankful Duff Family of Six!!

7 comments:

  1. Yay!!!! Bring on his loving and full life as a Duff!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww!!! Love all the pictures!! Magnus is a handsome little boy!!!! So exciting about you visit with the Doctor!! Hope you guys feel better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I am still working through my medical check list and wondered what conditions for heart disease you Said you were okay with? I would love to be open to chd kiddos but would most love the option for full surgical repair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tara, I'm on FB but only for the adoption groups. Would you mind PM'ing me and I'll answer any questions you have! Quickly, we were open to mild to moderate heart conditions but Magnus is considered major/severe. We didn't have to change our home study thankfully!

      Delete
    2. Hi Dana! No problem, what is your last name so I can find you on fb to pm you?

      Delete
    3. Shoot! I couldn't find you! My email is tarasmith@hotmail.com

      Delete