Wednesday, January 3, 2018

In All HIS Glory!!

Today started out just as it did yesterday with big grins and a BRAVE heart. 


Apollo was so tired this morning that he didn’t wake up even when I turned the lights on which never, and I mean, never happens. He is the lightest sleeper I’ve ever seen so I was shocked as he stayed sound asleep. Poor thing! 



We got ready and hitched another ride to the hospital. Our security drivers, Jose and Manny, loved Apollo’s name and became instant fans of the little guy. Jose said he was going to call his mom and ask why she didn’t give him a cool name like Apollo. So funny! It was just the distraction this mama needed today. We checked in and made ourselves at home in one of the cath lab recovery rooms. Our nurse, Katie, is the same nurse we had in June and we both love her. What are the chances?! She was thrilled to see Apollo and brought several other nurses over to see how cute he was. He reverted back to the behaviors that mask his fears and Katie understood to just let him be. We chit-chatted and it again kept my mind busy, not allowing myself to think about saying goodbye to my Boston main man. I sang to him, repeated over and over how much everyone loves him, and whispered reminders of how brave and strong he is. After a full dose of a sedative, he slowly faded off and I kissed him goodbye.





At 11am, Dr. Marx came to speak with me which instantly put me on edge. As we walked to the family consultation room, he said all was well. Cue me letting out a deep sigh of relief. At that time, Dr. Esch was coiling collaterals and ballooning Apollo’s coronary situs. Dr. Marx said he had news...now wait for it because I’m trying not to jump out of my skin. “All was well” was the understatement of this year so far! Through great detail he said that he believes they can SKIP the Glenn and go straight to the Fontan surgery!!!! Wait, back it up!! What?!?! YES!!! We have been praying so hard for the Glenn and our little HERO exceeded everyone’s expectations and now meets all the qualifications for the Fontan! Pure and blissful shock and all the glory to God!


What part of Apollo’s heart with a Fontan would look like. Crazy, right?!

Dr. Marx said that Apollo has a really strong heart (wow, I never thought I would hear those words) and great function. Of course it’s all relative since he only has one working ventricle but we’ll take it! I did everything I could to keep my tears at bay as I tried to wrap my head around his words. We sat together for a long time discussing it all. This renowned physician is never in a hurry to leave and I appreciate this more than he knows. Essentially he said that the shunt that Dr. Emani implanted in June gave Apollo’s left PA just the right amount of blood flow needed and as a result, his left lung grew and developed as it needed to though it wasn’t fully expected to. He said that they’re shocked how well Apollo has done and that he is teaching them so much which will, in turn, help other patients in the future. That makes one proud and thankful mama right here!


PINK!!




There’s my boy, looking more like himself after vomitting multiple times and having zero color in his face and lips. Only 3 more hours of laying flat at this point (total of 6).

I’m still trying to process what happened today and will have to do some research on the Fontan since it wasn’t even on our radar until next year. I’m on Cloud 8 right now, just waiting to hit Cloud 9 when Dr. Emani confirms the Fontan is possible! I really just can’t believe it but I shouldn’t be surprised because this itty bitty little superhero is nothing short of incredible!! He has defied the odds time and time again. As I prayed over him before saying goodbye this morning, I begged God to give him life. And He showed off in all of His glory! Apollo is a walking miracle. How blessed are we to witness God’s goodness?! Thank you from the bottom of our family’s hearts for your prayers and support. We have a tough road here in the coming week(s) but we know we have a village of prayer warriors. All our love!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!!!!!! This is wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate becoming immersed in your story. You have GREAT material to work with 😉 and your narrative style is compelling.
    You give praise & thanks where due (docs & staff ... and the Living Lord).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What phenomenal news!! We're all sending up prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m soooo happy to hear this good news!!!!

    ReplyDelete