Friday, January 5, 2018

Surgery Updates

2:30AM
One of our angels on earth, Dr. Emani, just met with us to tell Apollo’s daddy and mommy that he did SO WELL and everything went PERFECTLY!!! He received a lateral tunnel Fontan with fenestration!! Dr. Emani took down all of his shunts and had to patch his left PA a bit (to open it up more). We’re just speechless!!! Thank you a million times over for your prayers and support for the bravest of the brave, our Apollo Daniel WanRong! Please continue lifting him up as these next days are critical for his recovery!

Oh my son, you have done far more than what you were asked and expected to do! How did you do it?! How did your little heart work above and beyond how hard it was already working? And why am I surprised again?! I’ve learned to expect the unexpected with you. I’ve never seen God’s hand guiding one of His children as He has guided you. You have brought me even closer to our Father in faith and have taught me to trust Him more than I have ever been able to before. You shouldn’t be here today and not only are you here, you are thriving! I know how special you are and often describe you to others as being a dynamic little boy with an old soul. As with your sisters and brother, I’m so anxious to see what you will do in this world. Surely, you will change it in big ways. I’m certain of it! I love you to China and back, my Apollo!




1:30AM
We couldn’t wait anymore so Mike asked the nurse for an update. Apollo is still on bypass and they are performing an Echo which means they’re likely checking the blood flow and hopefully finishing the procedure. 



9:30PM
Our sweet son is on the heart and lung bypass machine. His heart has stopped and I feel like mine has as well. We hope to get a call when he’s off bypass next. And one fascinating note - Dr. Emani is going to move his heart to the left side so that he can work on his right atrium. I’m sure you’re wondering just as we were...he’ll be moving it back to the right side.

For my brave boys!



7PM
The incision has been made. We’re calm and trying to be brave.





6PM
They took Apollo back to the OR. We cuddled him, encouraged him, and told him we’d be right there when he woke up from his nap. He fully understands what’s going to happen. “Dr. Emani is going to make me stronger!”. Yes he will, our precious warrior, yes he will! Stay strong, our son, for you are in the hands of both Dr. Emani and our Lord. 



5PM
Dr. Emani just came to speak with us. We’ve been waiting here since 1pm and started thinking the surgery would be rescheduled. He said there were several emergencies in the CICU so they were holding off on bringing anyone else in. He said that they will try to start it all in motion in the next hour but if for some reason they can’t, they will reschedule.

Oh, and are you wondering which surgery?! THE FONTAN!!!! 

Our little boy has gone without food all day today and hasn’t mentioned it once. Not once! I thought I knew how strong he was but he took it to another level today! The surgery should be 5-6 hours so he could be finished around midnight. We’ll still post whatever updates we receive. It’s going to be a long and late night for our Apollo but we know he’s going to be a rockstar again because he’s BOSTON STRONG!!





9 comments:

  1. I hate that it's that late but love this news! Apollo, we love you and you are so so strong. Hugs from the Mahoney's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ALL are Boston strong and your radiant smiles speak of your joy and love. We are praying for all of you and trusting our mighty God to bring healing and renewed strength to your brave warrior! Much love...the Rankins

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! Tom just told me all of this was going on and i just finished catching up on your latest journey to Boston. Our prayers are with you all! Good luck tonight and we cant wait to hear positive news in the morning! Go Apollo, go!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apollo and your entire family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot tell you how many times I've refreshed this page. I hope you are both resting until you get to see him. Praying for steady hands, a quick mind, and zero complications.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy for an update. Praying for you sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing news!! Way to go Apollo!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was the first thing I checked as I woke this morning. Praising God with you for such wonderful news! I know you must be physically and emotionally drained after such a long night. Oh how my heart is with you as I remember those wee hours of surgery with MK and how eager I was to see her, hold her hand and be by her side. So grateful this step is now behind you and you are with him. We will continue to pray for complete healing and protection over his strong heart. Stay strong heart mama! Keep fighting strong Apollo!! Your words of faith and trust are such an encouragement to us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I followed your adoption journeys and you've been an inspiration. Just wondering how the boys are coping especially Apollo? Hope u update us. Stay safe and healthy♥

    ReplyDelete