Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Boston Strong

Whew, our first full day in Boston - check! It was informative, adventurous and tiring! Magnus wasn't too thrilled with the whole waking up early thing and showed it!


We walked to the hospital bright and early and stopped at Au Bon Pain where Mags devoured a carrot cake muffin (note to self, add that to his list of his edible foods). I thought I knew where I was going for Cardiology Pre-Op but I was so wrong, ha! A fellow heart mom told me to follow the yellow path or so I thought in my head, the yellow brick road. Well, apparently I would never have made it to Oz because I didn't do well following the yellow signs in the hospital. After two wrong stops, we finally ended up in the right place and still on time too!


It was a flurry of vitals, bloodwork, EKG, chest xray, and meeting several team members. Most importantly, we met Magnus's cardiologist, Dr. Marx. What an absolutely wonderful man! I'm in awe of his brilliance and thoroughly enjoyed talking with him. He took his time and spoke with us at length. He even drew Magnus a picture on his magnadoodle. Mags was exhausted by this point and fell asleep in my arms as we continued to discuss options and how our days ahead should play out. He made it clear that although Magnus is a strong candidate, he isn't a shoo-in for a bi-ventricular repair. This means he could have two fully functioning ventricles like a normal heart. They won't know until all of the procedures are completed tomorrow. It was hard to hear that but I know they will do what's best for him and we accept whatever that may be. He will most likely stay overnight tomorrow since he is so young and having a long sedation (possibly 6-7 hours). I hope I remember to grab our toiletries tomorrow morning as a fumble around in an early morning stupor! He is one of the first patients at 6:45am-yikes!

I've mentioned that I belong to an incredible group of heart moms who just rock in this world. Their care and concern for each of us is second to none. Recently, a precious little heart warrior just home from China earned her angel wings here in Boston. She touched so many of us and I wanted to honor her by making a shirt for Magnus to wear. We pray for sweet Eisley and her family often and hope we brought a smile to their faces as Magnus rocked his special shirt.



Doesn't matter where, I'm still dancing!

We finished at 12:30pm and returned to our Dragon Chinese restaurant. It was if the same women hadn't seen Magnus the day before - they made as big of a deal about him as yesterday. Such a ladies man which helped score us some extra scoops of chicken teriyaki! Work it little man, work it! We both napped and agreed to take another adventurous walk. I'm pretty sure Mags said he was missing Target :) so we set out to find the one just 15 minutes away. We bought some essentials - a Boston shirt, gummy bears and Pepsi for Mommy and suckers for Magsy Moo. We covered all the bases!

The statue, Dancing Man - so appropriate!

Ah, home! :)

We stopped at a Bread Co on our way back which is one of our favorites. Little did I know that it began to pour while we ate. I didn't have a choice to wait it out because I didn't want to be stuck out so far in the dark. We high-tailed it with me running the 1-2 miles back. Last year, I would've laughed at that distance. Today, I almost passed out! Sadly, I'm sure I'll feel it tomorrow...wah wah wah.


The girls are doing great and we're Skyping them all the time. Tonight, Anya and Grammy are at their last show at The Fox Theatre, The Sound of Music. Hope they're belting out "Rain Drops on Roses" and "Doe a Deer" for me!



I'd like to send out a special thank you to all of the generous families from our church who have signed up to provide dinners to our family. Our dear family friend sent out the request and we have dinners provided for the next month!!! We humbly thank each and every one of you for your thoughtfulness and care for our family. It means more than you know!

So tomorrow is even bigger than today. We will get immediate answers about the functionality and anatomy of Magnus's heart. I am nervous and worried but very hopeful that there won't be any surprises for his future care. Lots of extra prayers as we got ready for bed tonight!


Thank you for all of your texts, FB messages and calls. We love you and feel the love and prayers you are sending our way!

Alright little man, let's see what's going on in that little broken heart of yours! As Mike said to us as we left, "Boston Strong"!!

1 comment:

  1. This is Anya I hope hat everything goes smoothly and we are praying for you guys extra

    ReplyDelete