Thursday, May 5, 2016

And His Doctor Said BIVENTRICULAR REPAIR!!

Day 3 of early mornings for this duo. Magnus really had a difficult time waking up this morning. My sweet, sweet baby boy.



We were happy to see it wasn't raining, just cold as we set out again for the hospital. People are walking around with winter coats and gloves. I'm definitely missing our warm St. Louis weather! We arrived at the hospital with time to spare so we played in the waiting room for about 1/2 hour. They have a magnetic sand table which Magnus loves at St. Louis Children's.






We were called back and made ourselves at home in his room. His nurse, anesthesiologist and MRI tech went over everything in detail. We played for another 1/2 hour and he tried to dismantle mulitple machines. He is so inqusitive and tries to figure everything out. Then they gave Mags an oral sedative to take the edge off before he was fully sedated. His little body started getting heavy and he slowly drifted off after 15 minutes. I kissed his soft cheeks and my special spot in between his eyes as many times as I could and held back my tears until I got to the waiting room. The nurse said I should really take a walk and grab a bite to eat. I was hesitant but followed orders.


The nurse called every hour to update me on Mags's status. They were done with the MRI after 1.5 hours and the ECHO an hour after that. He was then transferred to the cath lab where I received a call from a doctor asking if I'd like to meet him before he starts. No sir, please just do what you have to do so my baby can come out of anesthesia and get that breathing tube out. After an hour, a cath lab nurse called to say he was very comfortable but they were still very early on. And wouldn't you believe that the the fire alarm just above my head went off and everyone jumped out of their seats. We weren't sure what was going on until the delayed announcement explained that it was a only a practice. All of the families were on edge so this was quite unwelcomed by all! I finally got the last update call at 2:15 that the cath was finished. It took about two hours, just as they estimated. After another hour, I was called back to his recovery room. He didn't do very well while coming out of anesthesia. He had some secretions in his airways so he sounded like he had bronchitis and a sore throat from the breathing tube. His oxygen saturation rate is usually in the 70s but he had dropped to 59. I almost lost it. They had to give him several calming meds along with oxygen through his nose. He was required to lay flat for 6 hours post-cath (I thought, you have GOT to be kidding me!). He screamed on and off for a couple of hours. Nothing seemed to work except apple juice and a walk around the unit. The nurses allowed him to lay in his stroller so I pushed him for an hour as he slept.

He was then transferred to the step down unit for the night and we hope to be discharged tomorrow. He was allowed to have plain rice and noodles at 6:30pm which was his first time eating for the day. He refused the noodles but acted as if there was a prize on the bottom of the rice bowl if he ate it fast enough. After the 6 hours were up, multiple tubes and lines were disconnected and he took a short walk with his nurse and me holding him steadily. He walked to the treasure box and picked out a puzzle which he fell asleep holding in his hospital crib.



Oh yes, what you all have been waiting for as the post title suggests. At the end of the day, Magnus was confirmed as a strong candidate for the full biventricular repair!!! Thank you Lord!!!!! Oh goodness gracious, thank you!!! Dr. Marx stopped by to briefly discuss the results of today's procedures. He along with three other physicians agreed that the bi-vent is in Magnus's best interests!!! He explained that it won't be an easy repair due to Magnus's anatomy. He will come to visit again tomorrow and speak in more detail along with Magnus's surgeon, Dr. Emani.

Today has been exhausting but oh so worth it!! I'm off to catch a couple hours of zzz's before the nurses come in to check Mags's vitals. Tomorrow, we should be discharged to go back to rest up. Gladly, I say!! :)



All our love,

Dana & the Amazing and Ever So Handsome Magster

No comments:

Post a Comment